Convertible vs 2-in-1

Now I’ve been called all sorts of things for giving this feedback here in the past, but from my experience the kickstand and floppy keyboard design is an ergonomic disaster if you plan on using it on your lap.
    The extra surface area the kickstand needs, especially as you push back the screen to use it in your lap, means you wind up typing right in front of your stomach which requires you to awkwardly pull your arms back behind you and/or hunch over when typing.
    I alternated between using a Surface Pro 3 and a regular laptop in my lap for a series of day long workshops earlier in the year and every time I had been using the Surface I was crippled with neck and shoulder pain that night, but I was fine on the days I’d been using the laptop.
    I wouldn’t ever buy a Surface clone if I had any alternative.

From a form factor perspective, if you think you’re going to be using your device mostly in laptop mode, then go for the convertible. It can also do duty in tent or presentation mode for video viewing. But it will be too heavy and bulky as a tablet for any extended period of time.
    If the opposite is true where you use it mostly for media consumption on the couch or on the bed, with some light typing every once in a while, then the 2-in-1 would be a better fit. Plus the drawing aspect would be a better fit here too.
    I just went through the same situation and I tried out the Acer convertible ChromeBook R11 to replace a 10.1" Samsung tablet, but ended up returning it because I realized I used my device more for "lounging" and the Acer was just too bulky for that. It works great in laptop and display modes, but I found I was sitting at my desk to use it instead of on the couch. Even using it on my lap was awkward because I have transition prescription eyeglasses so I had to tilt my head to see the screen at the right angle. With a lighter device, I can hold it at the right height for an extended period without fatigue.
    I ended up returning the Acer and bought an iPad.