Buying Advice: Mechanical Keyboard

I like Corsair’s K70 series. I had a couple of requirements when I was in the market for a mechanical keyboard:

• Standard layout – no weird arrangements around the Home key cluster/arrows, no tenkeyless, no messing with the Windows keycap.
    • Minimalistic design.
    • Arial font. No weird Star Trek-esque fonts.
    • Minimal backlighting. I’m not principally opposed to RGB but some companies really take it too far.
    • Some convenience buttons are okay.

The K70 series fit these requirements perfectly. You get your choice of mechanical key type, backlight color (or RGB, if you want); it’s built like a tank, comfortable, ridiculously easy to clean, and has a very satisfying volume rocker. They had some issues with backlight LEDs dying out in early revisions but that’s been mostly resolved. I have two and might get myself an RGB version.

First you want to figure out what type of switch you want, there are several different combinations of weight, tactile/linear and clicky/non clicky (these are referred to by colour, eg Red, Blue, Brown etc). There is a good overview here.
    Other things to consider are build quality, what type of material the key caps are made of and what layout is used (with MX boards you can swap keys, but a lot of boards have odd layouts for the bottom row which makes things more difficult)
    I’m using a Ducky One with Brown switches at work and have no complaints.
    It is a tad noisier than the Logitech G710+ I use at home if you bottom out, but this actually taught me to type more softly so it was probably a good thing.

First you want to figure out what type of switch you want, there are several different combinations of weight, tactile/linear and clicky/non clicky (these are referred to by colour, eg Red, Blue, Brown etc). There is a good overview here.
    This is the most important factor by far, and you shouldn’t buy a keyboard until you understand how each of these switches feel (and sound, if that’s a potential issue).
    I like blues, myself, because I find them the most comfortable for typing. But they’re not necessarily ideal for gaming or cohabiting.
    Try to go to a store which has a bunch set up next to each other, and go from there.