Gaming is a mental health issue

Totally right. This isn’t just normal gaming behaviour: its life wrecking behaviour.
    Just the same as telling people with depression to ‘cheer up’ isn’t going to help, we’re gonna need to work out a better way to deal with those who struggle with gaming. Hopefully the rest of us will learn something as well along the way.

This isn’t too different to a lot of other mental health conditions. What makes it a mental health condition is not the behaviour, but the impact it has on normal function. If you play games with no significant impact on the social and occupational/educational aspects of your life then you do not have a "disorder".
    A lot of mental health conditions have similar qualifiers. Have a look at the DSM V definitions of autism or ADHDfor example.

I never said autism was a single condition and I know autism is a spectrum with wide range of severities. One of the nice things about DSM-5 is that it brings the the definition of ASD inline with how treatment is provided and funded with its focus on support required.
    But that’s really just semantics and misses my point entirely. ASD however mild has to have some impact on current function to be ASD. Part D of the DSM-5 criteria if we are being specific. I was simply using ASD("autism") and ADHD to illustrate the point to a non-medical person.

(Armchair Psychologist Mode Activated)
    Hardly surprising considering modern gaming does more to take advantage of addictive personalities than ever before. How many games out there these days don’t rely somewhat on grinding, gear acquisition, loot-boxes, or stat counting?
    Used to be you’d complete a game, and if you really wanted to you could 100% it, but that’s about it. Beat Mario 64, get all the stars, boom, that’s it.
    But now games are chock full of flashy gear that’s always just out of reach, DLC’s that pump in cooler gear that’s just out of reach, competitive modes and social pressures that encourage endless repetition to boost stats and standings, and simply more games accessible at the drop of a hat than anyone could have dreamt of fifteen years ago…
    (Armchair Psychologist Mode Deactivated)
    I haven’t read the study and am in no way qualified to assess what’s going on, but from a 10,000 foot layman’s POV, it makes a lot of sense how this sort of thing can become a full-blown addiction.