Need advice on external hard drives

Pretty much any new drive will work for your purposes. Obviously hard drives won’t be as fast as SSDs but it should work fine for your purposes. I actually picked up that Lacie as well. No complaints, although I thought it was Thunderbolt 3 because it said Thunderbolt/USB-C but it’s actually USB 3.1 gen 2 (10 Gbit/s) and Thunderbolt 1 (10 Gbit/s as well), the Thunderbolt cable is integrated and has a separate USB-C port. Makes no difference that it’s USB 3.1 gen 2 instead of TB3 since it’s an HDD and even the SSD version is probably hooked up with 6 Gbit/s SATA on the inside anyway. Speeds for mine are at about 130 MB/s read and write over both Thunderbolt and USB-C (compared to over 2 GB/s read and 1.8 GB/s write on my Macbook Pro).
    You should go for it, but I would also look at upgrading the SSD in the Razer as well.

I thought about that but I risk voiding the warranty. I’m not sure if Razer will upgrade it for me, but if they can I’ll most likely have to buy the new drive and they’ll send me my old one.
    I’m trying to bypass anything like that by getting a new high speed SSD that I can carry around w me and that will end up costing me less overall.
    Thank you for your advice!

Usually if you have the ability to upgrade the drive they won’t void your warranty just because you upgraded the drive (different story with machines that have the drive sautered though). They made the drives accessible for a reason, and a lot of enthusiasts upgrade the drive. I don’t know, I would look at forums to see if they are known for being terrible at warranty claims.
    Also you posted HDDs and not SSDs. This is an SSD version of the Lacie: https://www.amazon.com/LaCie-Rugged-.../dp/B072Q64TDX